Sorry for the delay getting the rest of this tutorial up! Getting our holiday card done ate my brain for the last 2 months. If you missed it, part 1 of this tutorial is here. Ok, so back to making Moana’s top…
I made the top as a tube top with a shirred back piece.
Aimee recently created an adorable cat mermaid pillow on Spoonflower. I offered to be her tester and while I was sewing up the pillow, I took photos for a quick tutorial.
(I will finish the Moana costume tutorial. A pillow tutorial is faster to do, so I’m posting this first.)
I’m making Moana costumes this year for Halloween, so I thought I’d do a series of Moana costume tutorials on how I am modifying the official Disney costume.
To start with, I decided to re-make the top. I really like how the skirt looks, but I don’t like how the top requires straps to stay up and the top edge looks wrong. I figured it can’t be that hard to make a new top that is actually a tube top and has a shirred back for fit.
Today’s tutorial is on how I created the fabric for the top.
I needed pattern weights so I was doing some research into making or buying them. I found some really cute polymer clay ones on Etsy but I am world’s biggest klutz (like I run into walls on a regular basis), and anything made from sculpey is pretty much doomed around me. Then I remembered these cute plastic macaron boxes I had seen on Amazon that I could turn into pattern weights. Those would stand a good change of surviving an unexpected trip to the floor!
If you’re interested in making a set for yourself, here’s a super fast tutorial for making macaron pattern weights…
For Halloween this year, my girls wanted to be Pokemon. I let them pick which ones, and they picked Pikachu (ok that doesn’t seem too bad), and Jigglypuff (ohmigod big pink ball… how do I do that???) After some consultation with Marcus, we decided that the costume would be a big ball shape worn over a jumpsuit. The ball part of Jigglypuff would be a ball shaped hoop skirt (like a Chinese lantern) with plastic boning, so it’d be collapsible and lightweight.
I was really happy with how it came out because it was all pretty theoretical until about… 2 days before Halloween when I finally got it working. I did a lot of Googling to try to find if anyone else had done something similar, but I wasn’t able to find anything. I ended up having to try a couple different things before I got the understructure working properly.
So here’s a quick tutorial for anyone else who wants to build a giant ball structure out of fabric and boning.
The Larva has a cute shirt from Taiwan that has a cat head kangaroo pocket on it. (That is a mouthful… I gotta think of another name for this.) Anyways, she loves that shirt, but she spilled paint on it and I couldn’t wash it out (and I really tried), so I decided to make her a new dress with the same style of cat pocket on it.
I took photos as I was sewing and wrote up a small tutorial, so here we go.
A while back, I was making a sewing machine cover for The Red Queen (my embroidery machine) and I decided I wanted patchwork cat blocks on it. I drafted a quick pattern to re-create a cat block I’d seen before, and here it is in all it’s stumpy cat glory. (The finished cat ended up looking a bit squashed.)
Since then I’ve been futzing with the pattern on and off. I decided to finish it for the Put A Cat on It Sew Along, and I think it’s finally reached a usable state.