The second baby quilt this year was for Doris. She had a nautical theme for her nursery with a special request for narwhals. We decided to use the Fish & Bubbles pattern, but we put our own twist on it. Instead of fish, we did sea animal appliqués.
More baby quilts! I need the people around me to stop having babies for a bit so I can take a break from making baby quilts! =) In all seriousness though, the last 2 quilts were for some of my closest girlfriends, and Mi and I had so much fun making them.
First up was a quilt for Lorelai. Last year, we dressed up all our babies in Totoro costumes so it seemed appropriate to gift her new baby with a quilt in the same theme.
I had originally intended to quilt my Kate Spain Good Fortune quilt myself, but I had a slight miscalculation with my Mouse and Stars Baby Quilt. I had taped the mouse quilt to my floor, and then realized it wasn’t baby quilt sized. It was quite a bit bigger and all I had was baby quilt sized batting. Oops.
Taping down quilts in my house is a big to-do because I have to move all the tables, so I really didn’t want to have to redo it. The only piece of batting I had that was big enough was already being used in my Good Fortune quilt sandwich, but I hadn’t started quilting it, so I decided to steal it for the baby quilt.
Last November, a dear friend told me she was pregnant. She’d waited until pretty late to tell people and I was so thrilled for her! And then I started panicking that I wouldn’t be able to get a quilt done for the new baby. So, everything went on hold for a bit while I rushed to finish this Mouse and Stars Baby Quilt.
This year’s holiday theme card was of course: Star Wars!
I am so so grateful to Jeff Kuo, who is my go-to photographer for everything. He’s so great to work with, so versatile, produces amazing photos, and I love his cat. =D He was also incredibly forgiving of me for waiting until the last minute to pester him for photos.
I had grand plans to do the holiday card photoshoot in November and be all on top of it, but I ended up having an emergency quilt to finish in November (which I’ll blog about later), so I didn’t get my imperial officer costume done on schedule, and the photoshoot ended up getting pushed into December.
One of these years, I will actually get my act together so that I will not have to pay the rush fee for the card printing.
For Christmas, I made an I-Spy quilt for The Brood, which they love. I’m really happy they like it because they were pretty apathetic about the other quilts I made them (which is fine, I don’t expect a baby to have much of an opinion about which blanket they’re spitting up on). =D I almost wish I had made the quilt bigger with more blocks except that I didn’t want to sew more blocks…
The Larva has a cute shirt from Taiwan that has a cat head kangaroo pocket on it. (That is a mouthful… I gotta think of another name for this.) Anyways, she loves that shirt, but she spilled paint on it and I couldn’t wash it out (and I really tried), so I decided to make her a new dress with the same style of cat pocket on it.
I took photos as I was sewing and wrote up a small tutorial, so here we go.