Uh… so here’s our Pokemon Go holiday card from last year! It’s six months late and almost too late to even bother posting, but I’m processing photos so I figured I’d share a few.
For Halloween this year, my girls wanted to be Pokemon. I let them pick which ones, and they picked Pikachu (ok that doesn’t seem too bad), and Jigglypuff (ohmigod big pink ball… how do I do that???) After some consultation with Marcus, we decided that the costume would be a big ball shape worn over a jumpsuit. The ball part of Jigglypuff would be a ball shaped hoop skirt (like a Chinese lantern) with plastic boning, so it’d be collapsible and lightweight.
I was really happy with how it came out because it was all pretty theoretical until about… 2 days before Halloween when I finally got it working. I did a lot of Googling to try to find if anyone else had done something similar, but I wasn’t able to find anything. I ended up having to try a couple different things before I got the understructure working properly.
So here’s a quick tutorial for anyone else who wants to build a giant ball structure out of fabric and boning.
I had a bit of spare time yesterday so I hauled out my recently finished teacup quilt for photos.
More baby quilts! I need the people around me to stop having babies for a bit so I can take a break from making baby quilts! =) In all seriousness though, the last 2 quilts were for some of my closest girlfriends, and Mi and I had so much fun making them.
First up was a quilt for Lorelai. Last year, we dressed up all our babies in Totoro costumes so it seemed appropriate to gift her new baby with a quilt in the same theme.
I had originally intended to quilt my Kate Spain Good Fortune quilt myself, but I had a slight miscalculation with my Mouse and Stars Baby Quilt. I had taped the mouse quilt to my floor, and then realized it wasn’t baby quilt sized. It was quite a bit bigger and all I had was baby quilt sized batting. Oops.
Taping down quilts in my house is a big to-do because I have to move all the tables, so I really didn’t want to have to redo it. The only piece of batting I had that was big enough was already being used in my Good Fortune quilt sandwich, but I hadn’t started quilting it, so I decided to steal it for the baby quilt.